SOLID STATE & STRUCTURAL CHEMISTRY UNIT
INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE
BANGALORE – 560 012
Speaker: Ms. Neeru Arya
Self-Healing Materials: Recent Developments
Date & Time: Thursday 2nd August, 2018 at 4.00 PM
Venue: SSCU AUDITORIUM
Self-healing materials are either artificially or synthetically created substances that have the built-in capability to automatically repair damage created to
themselves without any external diagnosis of the problem or human intervention. Developments of self-healing materials are primarily driven by the desire to
prolong materials lifetime while maintaining their functions. Significant synthetic efforts have been made over the last two decades where the main focus was on
the development of different self-healing systems. In my talk, I will give a brief introduction to the approaches which have advanced the research in this field
and also discuss the details of the latest development inspired by the self-healing behavior of leaves.
1. S. R. White, N. R. Sottos, P. H. Geubelle, J. S. Moore, M. R. Kessler, S. R. Sriram, E. N. Brown and S. Viswanathan, Nature, (2001), 409, 794–797.
2. K. S. Toohey, N. R. Sottos, J. A. Lewis, J. S. Moore and S. R. White, Nat. Mater., (2007), 6, 581–585.
3. X. Chen, M. A. Dam, K. Ono, A. Mal, H. Shen, S. R. Nutt, K. Sheran and F. Wudl,Science, (2002), 295, 1698–1702.
4. C. C. Corten and M. W. Urban, Adv. Mater., (2009), 21, 5011–5015.
5. J.Y. Wang, H. Soens, W. Verstraete and N. De Belie, Cem. Concr. Res., (2014), 56, 139–152.
6. Y. Yang, D. Davydovich, C. C. Hornat, X. Liu and M. W. Urban, Chem, (August 9,2018), 4, 1–9.
ALL ARE CORDIALLY INVITED TO ATTEND
Coffee/Tea : 3.15 PM to 3.45 PM